Smoking Cessation Patient Info
Smoking Cessation Questions to Ask
Questions About My Diagnosis
- How do you know that I am addicted to smoking and its not just a habit?
- How long will it take after I quit smoking for the harmful effects that were diagnosed to revert to normal?
- What symptoms of nicotine withdrawal can I expect?
Questions About My Treatment
- How do I quit smoking?
- What medication can I take to help me quit smoking? Are the over-the-counter medications as effective as prescribed drugs? Will I need to take the medication to stop smoking forever?
- How long will it take before my cravings for cigarettes stop? How long will it take to quit?
- How do I avoid the weight gain? Depression or irritability?
- What side effects and/or risks do the medications have?
- Are these medications compatible with the drugs that I am currently on?
- Is there a program nearby?
- What happens if I smoke while under treatment for smoking cessation?
- Does the patch work? Do those artificial cigarettes work?
- Do alternative treatments like acupuncture, hypnotism and herbal therapy work?
Questions About My Lifestyle & Family
- Can I substitute chewing tobacco for smoking? Are cigars and pipes as harmful as cigarettes?
- What are the risks to my family from second-hand smoke?
- Are there foods that I should avoid? Is there a special diet?
- Should my family participate in the program with me?
- Is my family more likely to smoke because I did? How do I discourage my family from smoking?
- I smoke only occasionally or socially. Are the risks I face as bad?
- If I quit cold-turkey, will it affect my daily activity or work?
- Do I need to be in a counseling program?
Written by Barbara Hales, M.D.
Health Tools & Offers