Facial Wrinkles & Lines Patient Info
Facial Wrinkles & Lines Overview
Wrinkles are creases, ridges or folds in the skin. They usually manifest due to damage to the skin from:
- Aging Inner layer of skin (dermis) thins out. The elastin (protein responsible for skin stretching) and collagen fibers (protein skin architecture) loosen and unravel with decreased elasticity.
- Smoking Hinders production of new collagen.
- Sun exposure Ultraviolet rays cause excessive creation of abnormal elastin and malformation of collagen fibers (solar scars). As the rebuilding process is duplicated continually, wrinkles develop.
- Poor hydration Puckering of skin secondary to a decrease of fluid.
- Genetic predisposition Poor skin flexibility, skin folds and depression formation tends to run in families.
- Repetetive muscle contractions Small muscle contractions with repeated behaviors in frowning, squinting or other facial expressions cause prominence of wrinkles over time.
Dehydration or prolonged water emersion are both responsible for wrinkle formation.
Many feel that wrinkle formation is a sign of aging. By ridding the wrinkles and improving the condition of skin, the face can be rejuvenated, creating the appearance of youthfulness and a rested state.
Health Tools & Offers