Depression Patient Info
Depression Questions to Ask
From your initial diagnosis throughout your treatment and care, you will have questions about your depression. Below is a list of helpful questions for you and your doctor to discuss so you can make informed decisions about your condition.
Questions About My Depression Diagnosis
- What caused my depression?
- Are there diagnostic tests that I should have?
- Can I be cured of this life-long problem?
- Will psychotherapy cure me of depression?
Questions About My Depression Treatment
- What medication will I need to treat depression? Why was this medication chosen? Are there side effects?
- How long will I need to take this medication before I see relief of symptoms?
- Will I always have to take the medication?
- Is there a treatment that I can have without drugs? Are there supplements, vitamins or herbs that can cure my depression?
- What will happen if I don't take any treatment?
- Will I get progressively worse?
Questions About My Lifestyle & Family
- Does this type of depression run in families?
- Will my children develop this depression? What signs should I look for?
- Is there a special diet that will help me? Are there foods that I should avoid? Can I drink alcoholic beverages?
- Will exercise relieve my depression?
- Will antidepressants interfere with my sexual performance or sex drive?
- Can I drive with antidepressants?